Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Cigar Review from the Shrink - Rocky Patel Vinatge 1990


For tonight's review I am on my own. I'm in Topeka for a Committee meeting and thus I'm without my friend and fellow cigar enthusiast Randy. But I did bring a cigar with me, a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. I have smoked these many times in the past, but it has been quite awhile since the last time I lit one up.

Here is what the Manufacturer says about this cigar - This cigar is highlighted by a 12-year-old Honduran broad-leaf wrapper that has softened in strength over the years yet gained in complexity and flavor. The Vintage 1990 is made with the following tobaccos -
Wrapper: Honduran Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Dominican & Nicaraguan

I smoked the Churchill size coming in at 7 X 48. The price point on these are $6 - $8. You can frequently find them for much less in online specials, as I did.

Although it has a lovely dark maduro wrapper this is a medium body smoke that is closer to the mild than full side. It is an attractive cigar with two small bands. This cigar is flawless in its construction. It is box pressed and is essentially square in shape. After clipping the end I find that this cigar has an effortless draw.

After lighting the cigar I sit back and take a couple of long pulls. This cigar is a delight, flavorful but not harsh. It produces voluminous amounts of effortless smoke. The secondary smoke has a nice odor that is not overly strong. I'm pairing this cigar with a glass of a Red Table wine from Spain (Este De Bodegas Alto Almanzora).

The cigar is burning well with only a slight waviness to the burn line. It is producing a tight compact ash. It has a nice flavor like a cup of really good coffee, smooth but with just enough bitterness at the finish. I'm really enjoying this cigar and I am able to set it down while I read without it going out.

The cigar remained very consistent from the beginning to the end. It was a good reminder of how much I liked this cigar and how I should not wait so long between now and when I smoke it again. It reminds me of the Rocky Patel Decade but not as refined.

I did have a few minor burn problems but nothing I would be overly concerned about and for the most part they were self-correcting. The medium body held through out the smoke but it was not boring or bland. This cigar had nice flavors with a dry, slightly bitter finish - like the tannins of a nice dry red wine. I had to abandon the cigar prematurely to deal with a work related issue. When I got back to the cigar, after about an hour, I ran into some burn issues and bitterness. As these may be related to the fact that the cigar sat for an hour I do not want to be overly critical.

Score: 3 - I was very close to giving this cigar a 4 and reserve the right to do so after I smoke another one. The most concerning issues that I had with the cigar came after a re-lite and thus, may not be directly related to the cigar but rather how I smoked it. I would certainly recommend this cigar and would never pass up the opportunity to smoke another.

Tomorrow I'll be back at home and hopefully enjoying a cigar with Randy. As good as a cigar is, it is always better when smoked with a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment