Saturday, August 1, 2009

Camacho Select

Last night I enjoyed my first Camacho cigar, the Camacho Select. Camacho cigars have a reputation as being a more full bodied and flavored cigar. I was a little reticent about trying one as I generally prefer my cigars on the mild to meduim side.

Lately, However I have had smoked some very good cigars that were also stronger in their flavor profile (Man-O-War, CAO Brazilia, Padron 5000). The proprietor of Churchill's (
SW Gage Center Dr., Topeka, KS ) recommended the Camacho Select. He said I would be pleased with this cigar and he was right.

I smoked it last night in the Man Shed with my Pals Randy Gibbs and Richard Jensen. Randy and I smoke together a lot and enjoy sharing and trying new cigars. Randy was smoking a Man-O-War and we paired our cigars with Liberty Stout from our local Micro-brewery.

This is a very attractive cigar - I smoked a Torpedo. It is a medium brown in color with virtually no visible veins. It has two ornate bands. The wrapper is African Cameroon and the filler and binder are both Honduran and it is blended by Julio Eirca. The cigar is very well constructed and had a perfect draw. It started out very spicy and I was a little worried that I would find it to strong and overpowering over the next couple of hours. The cigar leveled out quickly maintaining the spiciness but without being to strong.

It burned perfectly with a thin burn line and a tight and compact ash. It was a cool smoke that produced abundant smoke and flavor without ever becoming bitter. It went well with the stout and the wonderful camaraderie of my brothers of the leaf.

I would definitely smoke this cigar again and will keep an eye out for an online special as this was around $9.00/stick when I purchased it which is much more than I want to spend on a cigar.







No comments:

Post a Comment